Shop Photos from This Week
These were headed for the trash at my apartment building so I grabbed them….tossing around some ideas for what they might be turned into or used for in the shop…
Free Craigslist find from around the corner. Not sure what I’ll do with this just yet.
Glueing up frames for slat lamps.
Toxic Avenger. Actually, I feel like Walt from Breaking Bad. You’re just jealous of my hot pink filters, aren’t you?
Painting wood blocks to make new drawings.
Working on a pallet bench. Once the legs are done, I’ll get to the fun part of cutting up pallet wood for the bench seat.
Latest Pill Bottle Lamp in Progress
Using my new (old) drill press to make the holes in the prescription bottle lamp. This new version is looking good so far…..it is made from pallet material, features a different hole pattern, and the bottles will have a lower profile. I’m also awaiting some stylish, high quality electrical hardware that I’ll use on my lamps. Images of the finished piece coming soon…
This bit is the perfect size for the pill bottles, and this simple jig sure makes the process go faster.
I’m a little behind on posting, but I have been busy in the shop! Yesterday I took a day off to reorganize the space and to build an extension on my overhead storage loft. I’ve reached that point where I have to be as creative as possible with storage space, and to be more selective with what wood is kept in the shop for projects and scraps. I used more of the same salvaged wood to extend the loft that I used in the construction of the original loft. Now I have space to store pallet material, which I am starting to use a lot of.
Today’s agenda includes: finish assembling my neighbor’s new cat post and apply a coat of stain; drill and insert brads into the slat lamp that I am rebuilding; mill wood for the new pill bottle lamp - I am going to make that out of pallet material as well; hand plane the new shelves for the cat tree, then assemble for testing with the kitties.
Never enough hours in the day!
Setting up Shop
This is a sort of catch-up post, as I wanted to post some images and info on the work that I did over the summer to set up my studio work space downstairs in our garage. We live in a small, 1940s apartment complex, and our apartment fortunately sits directly over our garage stall below (most of our neighbors’ apartments don’t…their living spaces do not line up with their parking stalls). I’ve made a lot of progress since I initially started setting things up, and I will post updates soon.
The garage stall has one permanent wall, and is open on the other three sides (there is an access way between my work space and the back wall that I have to leave open so that people can access their storage closets). I built a storage loft to get all of our camping gear and miscellaneous storage items off of the floor. I scored this whole pile of wood for $10 at Whole House Building Supply and Salvage in San Mateo. What’s cool about this place is that you can pick through and choose each piece you want…specific lengths, types of wood, etc. And it’s good knowing that this wood is being repurposed for a good cause.
Who needs a pickup?!
And here is the loft in progress…
And here are the beginnings of a tool wall over the secondary work table…
I had a large 48” x 48” worktable that I broke down and used to create two separate tables instead. One became a general purpose drawing table, the other became the main woodworking bench that sits in the middle of the shop. Here is the woodworking bench getting final touches, including the spank’n new vise courtesy of my sister…
Woodworking bench made from new and reused materials.
And the latest addition: I scored this old school table saw off of Craigslist. It took some work to get it up to speed, which mostly involved getting the necessary safety gear in place for making cuts so that I would not lose any fingers or get smashed from kick-backed wood flying at 130mph. Most older saws like this have long since lost their original safety accessories because people found them cumbersome to remove/install repeatedly when switching between different kinds of cuts. More on the details of how I resolved this coming soon.
New (old) table saw.
The previous owner converted one of the table saw ‘wings’ into a router table add-on, which is kinda cool. I made this temporary router insert until I can get a proper one. Here you can see the router is mounted underneath and the bit peaking through.
Currently my sole power source for all power tools and equipment is from our bedroom. I am able to run a few incandescent shop lights and my iphone (for music and email) from a standard light socket in the garage storage closet. One of the cool things about being below our apartment is that I get a full wireless signal from our router! I am negotiating the installation of an extra power connection or two with our apartment maintenance guy….but looks like it will be awhile since he’s swamped with projects. It’s ok…I’m able to work with this for now.
Power to the people!
Ok, that gets me closer to being caught up with the early setup progress. More details coming soon.